Imagine that you’re sitting on your back patio on a warm summer evening after a long day either at work or catching up on mounds of yardwork.
You have soft music playing, a beverage in hand, and you’re enjoying the peacefulness that comes at the end of a summer day.
But, you just can’t seem to get comfortable enough to really relax in that hard, wood deck chair. What you need is a hammock chair to sink into and really unwind.
There are hundreds of outdoor hammock chairs to choose from. You can find them online, at big box retailers, on Amazon, or at local patio furniture stores.
We’ve put together this list of our favorites to help you narrow down the choice. We looked at both freestanding hammock chairs that come with a frame and “hang it yourself” hammock chairs that require you to hang them yourself. You’ll need to decide what works best in your outdoor space.
The Best Freestanding Hammock Chairs
Our first set of hammock chairs is for people who don’t have a good place from which to hang a hammock chair. Don’t worry if you don’t have a large tree or deck posts – there are plenty of options that come with their own hanging frame.
This delightful hammock chair is available at Home Depot and is one of our favorites. Purchasers agree, rating it 5/5 stars. The size of this hammock chair enables you to fully stretch out and has a capacity of 250 pounds.
Some of our favorite features are as follows:
- The included umbrella canopy will provide shade and protect you from the sun’s harmful rays.
- The frame is made of steel, providing the ultimate feeling of security in its sturdiness.
- The arm rests have beverage holders, meaning that you don’t need a side table nearby when enjoying a refreshing glass of lemonade or iced tea.
- The dimensions of this hammock swing are 73 inches high x 40 inches wide x 25 inches deep.
2. Outdoor Brown Wicker Tear Drop Chair By Christopher Knight Home
This stylish hammock chair comes with its own stand, so you can purchase it without worrying about where to hang it. Available from Google Express, purchasers have rated it 4.4/5 stars.
Here are some highlights to be aware of:
- The materials used to construct this hammock chair are wicker, iron, aluminum, and fabric. It has been built to be UV-resistant and to hold up regardless of the weather.
- It comes with two cushions: one for the seat and a high cushion to support your back.
- The iron frame ensures that the swing is sturdy and won’t tip over.
- The dimensions of this hammock swing are 50.50 inches high x 37 inches wide x 23.25 inches deep.
If you like a modern flare in your outdoor furniture, this hammock chair from HayNeedle.com might be the one for you. Rest assured that this sleek style doesn’t mean that comfort is sacrificed. You will be able to relax when cocooned by the giant cushion that comes with the hammock.
A few of the features are as follows:
- Construction materials consist of resin wicker, powder coated steel, and fabric.
- The wicker resin has been formulated with UV inhibitors and is chip-resistant, so it should withstand the elements and look as good as new for a long time to come.
- The dimensions of this hammock swing are 48.03 inches high x 35.58 inches wide x 76.37 inches deep.
4. Swing Chair And Stand Combination, Tropical Palm Stripe
This hammock chair is made by the Algona Net Company and can be found on Houzz.com. This has more of a beachy feel to it, both because of the style and the colors. It’s easy to sit in this hammock chair and imagine you’re relaxing by the ocean and not just in your back yard.
A few of our favorite features are:
- The steel frame is powder coated and rust resistant. And, it’s easy to put together – a definite plus!
- The fabric and rope are made of polyester, so shouldn’t fade in the sun like cotton would.
- The dimensions of this hammock swing are 36 inches high x 64 inches wide x 45 inches deep.
This is a truly luxurious experience for 2 that can be found at Swings N’ Things. The included umbrella canopy can be moved into 5 positions and will ensure you don’t get a sunburn while lounging together on a hot summer day.
A few of our favorite features are as follows:
- The hinges are made of maintenance-free ball bearings that ensure a very smooth rocking motion.
- All bolts are rust-resistant, and the entire frame is chip-resistant and will never rust.
- The seat is made of a breathable fabric that ensures you can stay cool while sitting there.
- The dimensions of this hammock swing are 85 inches high x 88 inches wide x 78 inches deep.
“Hang It Yourself” Hammock Chairs
There are so many hammock chairs to choose from in this category! While the options above all came with a frame of some kind, those listed below do not.
So, you will need to think about the logistics of how you will use these hammock chairs. Of course, you can buy a hammock chair frame – these are readily available.
Or, you can also think about using a thick branch on a large tree or the support beam of a covered patio. Just be sure whatever you choose is strong enough to hold the weight of those who will be using the hammock chair.
- The ultimate form of comfort and relaxation
- Tightly woven with high quality colorfast cotton thread to prevent colors from running
- Includes a zippered carrying bag
We found this delightful hammock chair on Houzz.com. This particular chair looks and feels more like a traditional hammock than our previous options.
One of the things we really enjoy about this chair is the affordability. With this hammock chair, you can have that tropical relaxation experience for relatively low cost. And, although you may have to purchase a frame that takes up space, the hammock chair itself is fairly compact when not in use.
Some key features are as follows:
- Colorfast cotton thread is tightly woven to form the bulk of the hammock chair.
- The fringe is hand-crocheted and adds that tropical feeling.
- The dimensions of this hammock swing are 24 inches high x 30 inches wide x 72 inches deep.
7. Trellis Garden Single Cushion Patio Swing
This hammock chair is available at Home Depot and we love the combination of the wood frame, metal hanging chain, and fabric cushion.
A few highlights are listed below:
- The solid oak arms are polished with marine varnish to ensure they hold up in the rain or humid climates.
- The seat cushion consists of mildew-resistant material.
- This hammock chair has a 350-pound weight capacity, the highest of any of the models we reviewed.
- Make the elegant Globo hanging chair the centerpiece of your outdoor living and entertaining space. This chair is made...
- This chair comes partially assembled. To make things easier, we’ve gone ahead and included all the tools required for...
- The wood is treated for outdoor use but we recommend treating it with a penetrating oil finish once or twice a year...
Found at Swings N’ Things, this hammock chair is a work of art in addition to an incredibly comfortable place to relax. If you want to put your hammock in a wooded or natural area, this one will fit right in. The price tag might put this into the category of luxury items, but we think it’s worth it.
Here are some of our favorite features:
- The Scandinavian spruce wood has been weatherproofed and constructed in multiple layers for both durability and strength.
- The cushion is available in 4 colors and either cotton or polyester.
- A matching stand can be purchased separately, also made of Scandinavian spruce.
- The dimensions of the chair alone are 48 inches high x 48 inches wide x 30 inches deep.
- 2017 Women's Choice Award Winner for America's Most Recommended Hammock
- Dual weave technique for lasting durability
- Great for 1 person; 249-lb. weight capacity
Available from HayNeedle, this hammock chair is made of rope, rather than fabric. The woven rope is made of cotton, so is perfectly comfortable when you’re ready to lounge back and swing.
Here are just a few highlights:
- The spreader bar is made of solid wood and is varnished to help it be resistant to the weather.
- It can hold up to 249 pounds, so is sturdier than it may look.
- This hammock chair is machine washable – however be sure to pay attention to the special instructions about how to wash it without causing a bunch of tangles.
- The dimensions of this hammock chair are 60 inches high x 44 inches wide.
- Caribbean Hanging Chair: It will bring you rest and relaxation to just about any location. It is made of luxurious...
- Hanging: This hammock chair is very easy to hang, all you need is one suspension point that is 7.5 feet or more from the...
- Material: Polyester material is more luxurious then cotton , 47 inch wide spreader bar provides ample shoulder room....
We found our final favorite on Amazon and think this is perfect if you’re looking for the traditional hammock feel with your hammock chair. The woven rope is made of polyester and can be selected in four colors: blue, rice white, brown, or rainbow.
A few notable features are the following:
- The polyester material is resistant to mold and mildew, so feel free to hang it out in the elements.
- The spreader bar is 47 inches wide, so gives plenty of room even for larger adults.
- It will hold up to 330 pounds, as long as your hanging point will also support that weight.
Outdoor Brown Wicker Tear Drop Chair by Christopher Knight Home
Swing Chair and Stand Combination, Tropical Palm Stripe
Trellis Garden Single Cushion Patio Swing
What To Look For In A Hammock Chair
Once you’ve decided that a hammock chair is what you need, the fun of shopping begins. You will want to keep a few things in mind that should help you narrow down your search.
First, do you need to try it out first or are you comfortable purchasing something online? If you need to try it out, you’ll be limited to the stock available in local stores.
Second, consider your climate and hammock location. If your hammock chair will be exposed to the weather and if you live in a climate with extremes, be sure to select a chair that will withstand the elements. Or, be prepared to replace it every couple years.
Third, what position will you be most comfortable in? Do you want a hammock chair that will keep you sitting up most of the time? Or, do you want to recline or stretch out? There are hammock chairs on our list that will meet either need. It really is a matter of your personal preference.
Finally, be sure to select a hammock chair that has the appropriate weight capacity for anyone in your household that will be using it.
Once you’ve made your purchase, be sure to hang it by following the manufacturer’s instructions and by using the appropriately strong hanging hardware.
Don’t skimp in this area.
You don’t want your relaxing afternoon ruined by your hammock chair crashing down to the ground just as you’re getting comfortable.
We hope you enjoy your summer afternoons or evenings, lounging in your new hammock chair, enjoying a good book or soft music, or just drifting off for a little cat nap.